Maury is cancelled after more than 30 years on the air show is famed for paternity reveals

May 2024 · 3 minute read

The daytime talk show Maury is coming to an end after more than 30 seasons, after it was cancelled by NBCUniversal.

The syndicated show, which Maury Povich, 83, began hosting in 1991, is slated to conclude producing original episodes to air through this fall, Broadcasting + Cable was first to report Saturday.

New episodes of the talk show, known for its paternity reveals, will remain on the air through September.

The latest: The famed daytime talk show Maury, featuring Maury Povich, 83, is coming to an end after more than 30 seasons

The latest: The famed daytime talk show Maury, featuring Maury Povich, 83, is coming to an end after more than 30 seasons

Reruns of the show will remain airing in syndication, in an arrangement similar to that of The Jerry Springer Show, according to the outlet. Original episodes of Springer’s show ended in 2018 and have continued to air in the seasons since.

Maury’s last renewal came in 2020, which extended the show through the 2021-2022 TV season, People reported, citing a news release from NBCUniversal.

Maury first started airing as The Maury Povich Show in 1991 when it was produced by Paramount Domestic Television, according to Deadline. 

The name of the show was later condensed to Maury in 1998, when Studio USA (which NBCUniversal later bought) began producing the show.

Maury first started airing as The Maury Povich Show in 1991 when it was produced by Paramount Domestic Television

Maury first started airing as The Maury Povich Show in 1991 when it was produced by Paramount Domestic Television

Povich and his wife, famed newscaster Connie Chung, 75, were snapped in Texas in 2019

Povich and his wife, famed newscaster Connie Chung, 75, were snapped in Texas in 2019 

Povich is famed for his paternity reveals in which he would say, 'You are not the father!'

Povich is famed for his paternity reveals in which he would say, ‘You are not the father!’

The popular series reached its 3,000th episode in May of 2016, according to TV Line. 

Povich in 2012 chat with the Chicago Tribune about the show’s enduring popularity.

‘They touch so many classic themes, whether it’s love, distrust, conflict, drama,’ said Povich, who was initially a radio reporter out of Washington, D.C., before hosting the TV tabloid A Current Affair from 1986-1990. ‘And the paternity shows in particular, you’ve got he-said, she-said, is-he-the-father, isn’t-he. While soap operas play those themes out over six months, we play them out over 12 minutes.’

He said in the interview: ‘I want to do the show as long as it’s doing well and I’m feeling well doing it. But I don’t want do it when I’m as old as [the late] Regis [Philbin]. I’m not going to last that long.’

Queer Eye star Karamo Brown, who has past been a guest host on Maury, is slated to host a self-titled talk show produced by NBCUniversal and airing on The CW affiliates and other stations beginning this autumn, with Maury executive producer Paul Faulhaber serving in the same capacity for Brown, Broadcasting + Cable reported.

Other shows that have been canceled in recent months include Judge Jerry (after three seasons); The Nick Cannon Show and The Good Dish, each after one season; and The Wendy Williams Show, after 12 seasons. Sherri Shepherd, who has been a guest host during Williams’ absence, is slated to host a show in the time slot for the fall TV season.

ncG1vNJzZmimkZ63or%2FUqZyrnpGjwG%2BvzqZmppmlp8ZutdJmmpqmk5q5rbHDZpifrJWneq670Z5kraCRo3p0fIyynJqqo2K8r3nToZxmmZmnerS0zrBkoqtdm66uscNmnaiqXaWutbHRp6CtsV2nsrexwKWqaA%3D%3D