Texas: Barry Andrews, CEO and Owner of Andrews Distributing Company, Has Passed Away

May 2024 · 3 minute read

Barry Andrews, CEO and owner of one of the largest beer-distributing companies in Texas, has died
Date: September 20, 2023.

Barry Gerard Andrews, CEO and owner of one of the largest beer distributing companies, ‘Andrews,’ passed on Tuesday, September 19, 2023. He founded his company, Andrews Distributing Company, in 1976, along with his wife in Corpus Christi, Texas. It expanded, and today, it serves 27 counties, from four distribution warehouses, and holds the rights to more than 250 beer brands.

Who is Barry Andrews?

Barry Andrews was born on April 4, 1946, in Electra, Texas. He was raised in Corpus Christi. He graduated from Carroll High School, where he met his wife Lana for the first time, and they went to Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos. They married in their senior year and started their company together in 1976. It was a 5,000 sq. ft. warehouse with only 11 employees.

Barry, at 29, was the youngest ever Miller distributor. He worked hard and pioneered the concept of ‘multi-brand distribution,’ which is now standard for distributing companies. He acquired many brands for his company, like MillerCoors, Heineken, Sam Adams, Corona/Modelo, and Shiner Bock.
Today, the company has over 2000 employees and four large warehouses in Allen, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Ennis, and Fort Worth, from which it distributes more than 1,000 beer brands.

Barry built his successful company on the motto ‘People make it happen.’ He treated his employees like his family. He used to make several rounds of the company in a day, always remembering his employees’ names and asking them about their families. He once said, ‘Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.’

His success won him many accolades, including the ‘Distributor of the Year’ award in 2007 by Beverage World Magazine. He played a vital role in the National Beer Wholesale Association and was the former president of Wholesale Beer Distributors of Texas.

He was involved with many charitable organizations. He was a member of the Baylor Health Care System Foundation Board and M.D Anderson Board of Visitors. He sponsored the American Cancer Society’s ‘Cattle Baron’s Ball’ fundraising events in Dallas and Corpus Christi. He also supported the annual M.D. Anderson Living Legend Luncheons in Dallas.

Obituary and funeral

His obituary was released with Dignity Memorials. His Memorial Service will be held on Friday, September 22, 2023, at 1:00 pm, at Highland Park United Methodist Church.

Tributes

Berry was loved by everyone who had the privilege to know him. He was a ‘people’s person’. He placed great value on friendship and maintaining healthy relations with the community. The community has come together to share the grief of Andrew’s family. His passing has left everyone aggrieved. All will deeply miss him; they have expressed their sorrow with nothing but kind words.

Mark Rhodes wrote,

“My deepest sympathies to Lana, Natalie, Blake and Mike. I was affectionately known as “Stretch”. I loved his nickname for me and loved a man who gave everything to his business and his people. My family and I owe a great deal of gratitude to Barry for the opportunity he gave me years ago. Rest in Peace Barry! You’re in good hands.”

Jerry Martinez wrote,

“Barry was a good caring man. He had a big heart and always took care of his employees. I had the honor of working for him in Corpus Christi. Condolences and prayers for all the family.”

Source: uptospeedjournalism.com

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7trzTqKqpnZWZt7DB0aeYpaGjonuku8xopZ6vo2Svor7RsmSappSnsri%2Fjg%3D%3D