Tom Cruise Height: Is He Really Shorter Than He Looks?

May 2024 · 5 minute read

Tom Cruise was born as Thomas Cruise Mapother IV on June 3, 1962. is an American film actor and producer. 

He has been selected for three Golden Globe Awards, and he has won three People’s Choice Awards. 

He began his career at age 19 in the 1981 film Endless Love. In 1983, he emerged in Risky Business with Rebecca De Mornay.

Tom went on to star in several hits, including Top Gun (1986), Rain Man (1988), Cocktail (1988), Born on the Fourth of July (1989) with Tom Berenger and Jerry Bruckheimer’s production of Far and Away, which also starred Nicole Kidman in 1992. 

Tom got widespread recognition when he played Lieutenant Daniel Kaffee in the box office smash A Few Good Men (1992). 

He received a Golden Globe nomination and won the People’s Choice Award for Favorite Motion Picture Actor.

Tom went on to star in Barry Levinson’s production of Tom Wolfe’s The Firm (1993), playing Mitch McDeere and Oscar-winning director Warren Beatty’s period drama Love Affair (1994), opposite Annette Bening. 

Tom then starred alongside Sharon Stone and Michael Douglass in Ron Howard’s blockbuster hit, The Net (1995). Tom started the new decade with an ensemble cast in the critically acclaimed box office hit Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.

Tom followed up that victory with Extraordinary Measures, released in 2010 after being postponed over ten years from its earliest 2006 release date due to encountering the right director. 

Tom is one of the highest-paid actors and was number one in the Forbes List for Most Valuable Stars, having earned $75 million USD last year.

Related Article: Jason Statham Height – Does It Appear To Be Shorter Than Josh Harnett?

Tom Cruise Height Explained Here

Tom Cruise is about 5′4″-5′5″. But he uses lifts. 

Even in lifts, he only comes up to 5′7″, which is still truly short for a guy (and five inches away from the minimum male height in America.

How People Make Fun Of His Height

American actors best comprehended for starring in films like Top Gun, Rain Man, Mission Impossible, Jerry Maguire, and Minority Report. 

The Biggest Star in Hollywood has drawn a myriad of articles that never cease to highlight his ‘apparent’ lack of height, even going so far as to claim Tom is seeking advice over a potential quarter-inch loss in stature. 

Tom’s height is regularly listed as being 5ft 7, although back in the 1980’s he was being commonly referred to as an average 5ft 8 or 9, a height which Tom himself was quoted saying in 1988:

“I have always been pretty much the same weight, 147 pounds – at 5 feet 9 inches” and in another article from 1988, it mentioned: “Incredibly average, except for the devilish grin and the ice-blue eyes. Now you know, so stop asking: That’s how Tom Cruise really looks. At about 5-foot-8 and 160 pounds, he’s in decent shape, but no hunk.”

Nicole Kidman once said that when filming Days of Thunder “They had me in really flat shoes, but you could still see I was taller than him. I’d prefer to be smaller, but I don’t mind. I like the fact that he’s one of the most famous actors in the world and can work with anybody – but he doesn’t mind working with an actress who’s taller.“ After their divorce, she joked, “Now I can wear heels again“. That film’s Producer – Don Simpson – also couldn’t resist a jibe: “I’ll never put Tom Cruise down. He’s already kinda short.”

However, Scottish comedian Billy Connolly piped in on the topic, laughing at the notion Tom was some pint-sized midget, exclaiming that “Tom was at least 5ft 10…[he’s a] Smashing guy. Everybody thinks he’s a small guy. He’s not. I think they would like him to be weak. I think they’re jealous b**tards.”.

Another actress who worked on Eyes Wide Shut with Tom also disclosed that “We started chatting and I cheekily said, ‘So how tall are you? C’mon… back to back!’ And he did! Answer: he’s a smidge taller than me and I’m 5’7 ¾. Myth dispelled – he’s not 5’2!”

Richard Harris thought the opposite, saying: “You have guys like Tom Cruise, who’s a midget, and he has eight bodyguards, all 6-feet-10, which makes him even more diminutive. He disappears behind them, and it’s an absolute joke.” 

This mindset was shared by chat-show host Paul O’Grady who was surprised when he met Tom, saying, “He was minute. Honestly, he looked like a Borrower. I wanted to say, “Come on, where’s the real Tom? Why have they sent it along with a mini-me?

There is never-ending speculation about whether he wears shoe lifts or high boots, even some magazines falsely crediting an innocuous pair of Air Force One sneakers as some form of thick wedged elevator sneaker. 

However, for an Interview with the Vampire, it was reported that Tom asked for Elevator Shoes to look taller beside Brad Pitt.

Sad Reality

This is very painful. A person’s height cannot justify their qualities and potentials. 

All measurements are great, and it is a gift of nature, and we can’t do anything about it. All height should be embraced because it is glorious the way it is.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunDAzqZknKqlnsCmeceeoKCgpGQ%3D